Freegle discussion forums on Discourse
Freegle is moving its main discussion groups from Yahoo to Discourse. Each Yahoo group will appear as a category in Discourse, so you’ll still be able to choose whether to follow Tech, Development etc. Discourse is hosted by Freegle and has been configured by us eg to allow posting by email.
Using Discourse should be straight forward, but here are instructions to help. Discourse works best on the web or using the Discourse app but it can be used by email if you wish.
- Using Discourse
- Signing in
- How to create new topics and polls
- Menus, preferences and notifications
- Discourse using email
- Discourse app for phones and tablets
- Discourse moderation and privacy
- Discourse technicalities
These discussion groups will be switched to Discourse categories, one by one:
- Freegle-Tech - https://discourse.ilovefreegle.org/c/tech
- FreegleRockCafe - https://discourse.ilovefreegle.org/c/cafe
- FreegleFunding - https://discourse.ilovefreegle.org/c/funding
- FreegleDevelopment - https://discourse.ilovefreegle.org/c/development
- Freegle-UK-Central - https://discourse.ilovefreegle.org/c/central
Note that the ModTools group is now considered to be part of Tech.
The old Yahoo groups will be frozen but accessible. The messages etc will not be transferred over.
An announcements category has been set up for "special notices":
- Announcements - https://discourse.ilovefreegle.org/c/announcements
And the Playground category is available now for testing purposes - ask questions on how to use Discourse there:
The mail preferences of members have been set up to mirror your Yahoo settings. You can check them by clicking on the user+cog icon (top right) then look in the "Emails" and "Notifications->Categories" tabs.
Just like on Yahoo Groups, please ask general questions on Central, techy questions on Tech, etc. You don't need to join a new category so just post a question in Tech if you want; you will see replies even if you aren't following the category.
Privacy-wise, you can post details of Freegle users if need be, but avoid personal details if possible. Do not share any personal details outside of the forums.
Eventually Discourse will be integrated into ModTools itself in your browser. When this has happened, it will replace the current Tech and Central chat facility.
Example Discourse home page
You can configure what you want on the home page in Preferences+Interface. Here I'm showing all the categories with the latest posts on the right: