Unsubscribe: help a member to leave
There are several ways for members to leave Freegle entirely, listed at the bottom of this page. You'll never hear from the ones that succeed, only the ones who fail.
- Some can’t find the way out, or make it work;
- or they leave a group but remain a Freegle member;
- or they switch off certain notifications but stay on the group.
So you may receive messages saying
- I have tried to leave over and over but ….
- You are not complying with GDPR regulations and …
- ...your unsubscribe links do not work.
By this time, some may be frustrated or angry.
How to help
Either forward the request to Freegle Support, or look up the email address in the ModTools>members>approved Search box. If they are only on your group(s), click the Remove Box(es)
You can’t remove members from groups you do not mod. So send details to Freegle Support who will remove them. This is easier and quicker than telling the user how to do it.
If the address does not show, forward the request to Freegle Support. Or to do it yourself, these are the next steps.
- look up the email address without the details after the @.
- if they have an unusual name, or there are other clues, search them out.
- if you find a probable match, ask the member if it is theirs.
- if this does not help, ask them if they use a different email address for Freegle because the one they wrote from is not on your list.
- if they do not, ask them to forward the next notification they receive from Freegle for you to investigate. That involves
- checking what email address it was sent to, which is the one that needs to be unsubscribed
- checking that it is from Freegle (as other online reuse organisations are available)
If you have any problems, pass the request over to Freegle Support
How members can leave Freegle
- With the button at the top right of the What’s New notifications.
- Using the Unsubscribe button in settings.
- On the Home page when signed out, there is a link at bottom centre.
- On the Home page when signed in
- the contact button at bottom left leads to How can we help, which includes How do I leave/unsubscribe
- and so does the Help button in the Menu bar at the top right.