Scrap Metal

From Freegle Wiki
Revision as of 19:57, 20 July 2022 by Jacky (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigationJump to search

Quote from a post on Central 9th February 2012 [[1] from Edward:

"I've had some discussions with a very nice person at the Environment Agency. Their response is very clear and helpful. Briefly (in my words):

  • The issue here is entirely for members, who may be obliged to register, most commonly if they are doing this as part of their business. See [2] for more details.
  • More generally, everyone using Freegle is responsible for their Duty of Care to dispose of waste responsibly. See [3] for details.
  • Local Freegle-affiliated groups, and Freegle nationally, are under no legal obligation to register themselves, to verify the registration status of members, nor to ensure that members are familiar with their obligations under the Duty of Care.

So, you can allow scrap metal posts if you want, and you might choose to point out to people asking for scrap that they may need to register, but you are also fine not worrying about it at all."

Additional information 2022:

If a person carries scrap metal as part of a business or for profit, they must have an upper tier ease carrier licence if it’s not scrap they have created. The registration number will always start CBDU.

If you ever want to check a waste carrier is registered go to GOV.UK and type Public Register in the search bar. Failing that call 03708 506 506 8am to 6pm week days only.

Back to Specific Items