A partnership with lovejunk [] was announced by the Board on Central 4.2.21 - https://discourse.ilovefreegle.org/t/paid-collections-in-london-via-lovejunk-com/2820 . The full details are in the announcement, but the basics are:
The idea is that:
- If you have something you want removing you list it on lovejunk.com.
- Businesses or reuse organisations, who are licensed to take stuff legally, reply, with a kind of bidding process.
- You choose your preferred bid - this is a paid collection.
- They come and take it away.
- Depending on who they are, they may reuse it, or may recycle it. 95% of stuff is recycled.
Lovejunk is currently London-only, but is highly likely to expand and form partnerships with some major furniture retailers in the UK. It is getting significant momentum - typical response time to a listing is now under a minute, and it’s something like 80% success from listing to pickup.
The Board agreed a partnership with lovejunk as follows:
- If, after some time, an OFFER cannot be freegled, we will offer freeglers in London the option of booking a collection via lovejunk.
- This is at the point where we currently send a chaseup/autorepost mail, and also via a button on My Posts. That means it’s not “competing” with normal successful freegling, and only kicks in when an item isn’t immediately shifting.
- There will be a popup which explains the process (see below).
- If they choose to go ahead, then it’ll take them over to lovejunk with some of the details filled in.
- All the arrangements between the person and the collector are entirely lovejunk’s responsibility, not ours.
In effect it’s a bit like we’ve offered them an easy way to organise a bulky waste collection, and we will get paid a bit for doing so.
Link: Other sites/interfaces