When you hold an event to promote your community, you could be covered by Freegle's Insurance as long as you provide some basic information and follow some guidelines.
Getting covered by Insurance
Please don't assume that everything you are doing as a volunteer is covered by the national insurance policy. Of course, in the average day of running a community there is very little risk of an insurance claim by or against you. But when you run an event or deal with things face to face the risks are increased so Freegle has Employers Liability and Public Liability cover. To use this you need to email firstname.lastname@example.org. You will need to give at least 7 days notice of the event so that there is time to complete the process, but sooner than that would be better.
The basic procedure is:
- Community/Volunteer who wants cover for an event emails email@example.com to say so.
- firstname.lastname@example.org asks for completion of an information form  and risk assessment form 
- Once the form and assessment are submitted email@example.com sends a copy of the insurance policy and cover to community/volunteer confirming that xxx event has been noted for the purposes of the policy and encourages use of spreadsheet for organising their event 
- Once the event is over, feedback should be given to firstname.lastname@example.org
If this process is not carried out, there is no guarantee of the insurance cover being applicable to your event.
Policy No: 2155667622AO13498
Period of Insurance: 25 June 2022 to 24 June 2023 inclusive
Insurance broker: Graham Sykes Ltd
Insurer: Covea Insurance plc
Policy Type: Multiple: Event
Cover : Public Liability and Employers Liability
Confirmation and summary of cover:
Insert File:Events insurance cover
- first aid cover is the responsibility of the volunteers, who, at a minimum should make sure that people would know where to go in case of an incident, and are given access to a phone and a chair.
- The employers liability section covers up to 4 volunteers/helpers.
For the small print, please see https://drive.google.com/file/d/14JYNS7maAyQYlKGy_SKG1ARNslGhKZgC/view?usp=sharing
Please be aware that for any claims under this policy, Freegle UK or Freegle Ltd will not cover the £250 excess for Public Liability. If a claim is made the excess is the responsibility of the Volunteer(s) who are party to the claim. This does not apply to the £500 Policy Excess in respect of any damage caused by a gazebo to volunteers/helpers.
Storage of Information
The information given as part of the procedure for getting cover will be kept and accessed only by the mailbox email@example.com
INSURANCE COORDINATOR REMIT
- monitor the insurance@ mailbox and ensure all queries are answered promptly
- deal with requests for insurance cover from volunteers, ensuring all the procedures and paperwork required are completed
- keep the insurance information on the wiki up to date
- collate annual statistics so that Freegle has an overview of commitments against the policy in the past year
- report to the Freegle Board
The current insurance coordinator is Ray Owen.
Back to Events