(This is a sample Admin message you can use to send to your group)
This general admin message is being sent to all [nnnn] members of [GROUP_NAME] Freegle.
Sending the same message to numerous groups at the same time is called cross-posting. Please only post your message to your local group initially. If you don’t receive a response after waiting 24-48 hours you can then post it to your neighbouring group. Wait again before posting to more groups.
Cross-posting is a problem for several other reasons:
- It drastically increases the number of emails per group
- Many more people have to compete for the same item
- The person cross-posting may have to deal with excess responses
- It can be the cause of no-shows when people realize how far they'll have to drive
On the other hand avoiding cross-posting helps to keep things local, creates more of a sense of community and means less fuel used and less pollution. People who are interested in receiving lots of posts can always join lots of groups
Your friendly [GROUP NAME] moderators.
We ask that members use their home groups in the first instance to offer and request items.
Using one's home group has personal & collective, community & environmental benefits. It:
- Reduces the 'competition' for items
- Reduces 'no shows'
- Saves money - by reducing the amount of travelling that group members need to do to give and receive items
- Reduces abuse of the system as the community is less anonymous - members get to know each other better which leads to fewer 'bad behaviours'
- No transport? Local groups make Freegle more accessible to everyone
- No van/trailer? Bulky items may even be collectible on foot if they are only a few streets away
- Reduces the number of emails per group - lots of smaller groups means we have more choice in how many posts we receive and from where we receive them.
- Increases good neighbourliness
- Enhances the local community spirit
- Reduces the negative environmental impact - distance travelled is lessened, reducing the carbon foot print
Thank you to all those members who already choose their local Freegle group in the first instance - you are already operating within the true spirit of Freegle.
With many thanks to everyone from the [GROUP NAME] Team.