Cross posting is when a member sends an Offer or Wanted request to more than one group at the same time. It is particularly useful where members live near to two or more groups.
Some groups discourage cross posting or ask members to wait a day or two before reposting on another group.
Advantages of cross posting:
- It is what members want. If they need to dispose of something or acquire something, it is not convenient to have to post to one group at a time.
- It increases the number of messages in each group, making them more useful.
Disadvantages of cross posting:
- It increases the number of messages in each group, pushing local posts further down the list.
- It could be seen as against the spirit of local groups.
- It uses more fuel and increases pollution if members travel far to collect.
Problems restricting cross posting:
- It is time consuming to monitor.
- Unless all surrounding groups have a similar policy it can be confusing to members where groups have different rules.
- It may lead to complaints.
How to manage cross-posting restrictions:
If you decide to restrict cross-posting you need to decide on a period. Some groups ask members to wait 24-48 hours between posts. Explain to members why you have a 'no cross-posting' rule. Admins on Crossposting and Keeping It Local
Back to Specific Circumstances