Many groups have a policy on restricting cross-posting. This is when a member sends an Offer or Wanted request to more than one group at the same time. Cross-posting is particularly common in built up areas where there are lots of Freegle groups that are very close together.
Problems with allowing cross posting:
- It drastically increases the number of messages in each group, pushing more local posts off the front page.
- Members who have joined more than one group see an unnecessary repetition of posts.
- It’s not fair to the poster’s home community & is against the spirit of local groups.
- It wastes fuel and increases pollution if items are given to members of non-local groups.
Problems with restricting cross posting:
- It is time consuming to monitor, although not if you use ModTools: http://wiki.modtools.org/index.php?title=Main_Page
- Unless all surrounding groups have a similar policy it can be confusing to members where groups have different rules.
- It may lead to moderators having to deal with more complaints.
- Many mods feel that it is too restrictive.
How to handle cross-posting:
Moderation Extension reference/s:
Checking for crossposts = http://wiki.modplugin.org/Checking_for_crossposts
Back to Specific Circumstances