Why use Modtools?
ModTools is a Chrome and Firefox plug-in that has been specifically designed to make moderating Freegle groups much easier than just using Yahoo.
There are many features that you can enable to suit the requirements of your group.
It is very easy to get started and you can choose to use the basic initial set up for speeding up moderation tasks or add more advanced features at any time.
Some of these features include the ability to
- Quickly change member posting settings and messages
- Easily moderate more than one group
- Moderate from your mobile device
- Retrieve and send your group stats
- Receive spammer alerts and make reports
We know that our members have lost money as a result of scam emails so this is a particularly valuable feature.
Starting with Modtools
If you're using a phone/tablet, then you should get the ModTools app from the Play Store or iTunes. That has a built-in plugin which means you can do everything from there.
If you're not on a phone/tablet, you can use Modtools from any browser (e.g. a laptop, a tablet, a phone) but to do some things it needs the browser plugin which only works on Chrome or Firefox so you'll need to use one of those regularly, even if you moderate from your phone too. If you don't have one or the other just search for a free download. If you don't have a preference, use Chrome.
- Make sure you are logged in to Yahoo. You'll need to be logged in to both Yahoo and ModTools for ModTools to work.
- Go to ModTools.
- You may be prompted to log in again with Yahoo.
- Now install the browser plugin.
- At the very bottom of the menu on the left side of ModTools you will see an icon for Chrome and another one for Firefox. Click on the one for the browser you are using.
- You may be asked for permissions, just accept them. The browser may need to be closed then restarted.
Select Settings from the left hand menu bar.
These settings are just about you.
- Enter your display name, this is your own name or the name you would like displayed publicly to other users.
- if the email address you use to moderate is not the one showing change it here.
- Choose whether or not to receive a sound (beep) alert for pending moderation tasks.
- Save changes.
These settings affect how this group behaves for you. If you change them, it'll only affect you.
- Choose your group from the drop down menu
- Mod Configs allow you to add buttons to choose and send out standard admin messages. Mod Config to use for this group is set to 'default'. You can change this later, if you prefer.
- Push Notifications give the option of receiving alerts on a mobile device for pending moderator tasks.
- Show messages in all groups and show members in all groups only apply if you mod more than one group.
- Save changes.
These settings affect how this group behaves for all mods and members. If you change them, it'll affect other people.
- Make your group choices from the drop down boxes. If you are unsure at this stage, leave as default, you can always change them later.
- Save changes.
This is all you need to do to get modding with modtools. There are more features to allow extra personalisation. You may like to get going with the basic features and once you are confident, come back to these later
There is a dedicated Yahoo Group open to all modtools users
Freegle reuse groups can contact mentors @ ilovefreegle.org
In the middle of 2013, Yahoo decided to change the way Groups worked (Neo), which removed the ability of Edward's Mod Plug-in to interact with them and thus render it unusable.
Edward suggested on Central that he could write a new tool that would offer the same range of facilities. It was unanimously welcomed as we had confidence that Edward would be able to do it and do it well.
The new Modtools was funded by a crowdfunding appeal
Message from Edward on the Indiegogo site:
In the early hours of this morning we reached the $10K target which will allow me to develop and support the replacement for the modplugin, to work with the Neo interface changes.
This is excellent news and I am very grateful to all of you who have supported this, financially and otherwise. I will try to build something that reflects the trust and generosity you've shown.
A new version was released in February 2016.
Freegle now provides a free licence to all Freegle groups.
In December 2016 the ability for Freegle Direct to host groups on the national website, without needing Yahoo as a background infrastructure, made Modtools a completely stand alone moderation tool for those groups which choose to leave Yahoo altogether.